The word, Saptapadi means “seven steps.’
After tying the Mangalsutra (In Hindus it is a sacred thread of love and goodwill worn by women as a symbol of their marriage)
The newlywed couple take seven steps around the holy fire...and they take seven vows...one for each step.
1. To provide a prospered living for the household.
2. To develop their physical, mental and spiritual powers in order to maintain healthy lifestyle.
3. To earn a living and increase by righteous and proper means, so that their materialistic wealth increases manifold.
4. To acquire knowledge, happiness and harmony by mutual respect, understanding and faith.
5. To expand their family and pray to be blessed with healthy, honest and brave children.
6. To pray for self-control of the mind, body and soul for the longevity of their marital relationship.
7. To be true and loyal to each other and would remain companions and best of friends for the lifetime.
I love you because in these two decades of our marital life you have not only honoured all these seven vows, but have honoured me in many more ways.